Make the most of kale and cauliflower while they are in season by cooking this frittata! Try this simple recipe which is low in carbs as well.
What you need:
- A knife and a chopping board
- A pan that can go in the oven to cook the frittata
- A large bowl to make the egg preparation
- A whisker (or a fork)
Ingredients for 4 persons if you serve it with a side salad:
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 4 cups kale
- 8 eggs
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup Manchego cheese
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & pepper
Before you start:
- Cut the cauliflower in small florets
- Chop the kale if needed
- Peel & then dice the onion
- Peel & then finely slice the garlic cloves
- Grate the cheese if needed
Ready to go?
- Preheat the oven, setting it up on grill.
- On medium-high heat in a pan (make sure it can also go in the oven) add 1 tablespoon olive oil, the diced onion and cook for 5 minutes until it starts to brown, stirring from time to time.
- Add the cauliflower florets, 1/4 cup water, cover and cook for 5 minutes till tender. Then add the kale, garlic, thyme, salt & pepper and cook for a few minutes till the kale is wilted (stir from time to time).
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl, add the paprika, salt & pepper, the vegetable preparation you just made. Gently mix together.
- In the now empty pan, add 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat, pour in the egg/vegetable mixture, add the grated cheese on top, cover and cook till the edges are set (between 5 to 10 minutes).
- Now put the pan in the oven set up on grill for a few minutes till the top of the frittata is cooked.
Similar recipes from the Beginner’s Cookbook you may like:
- Mushroom & Asparagus Omelette
- Roasted Carrots, Broccoli & Potatoes
- Cauliflower Rice Pilaf & Crispy Kale | Vegan