Not only lentils are excellent for your health, but there is very little preparation needed, count ~10 minutes to get everything ready and then it’s just cooking time! It’s also excellent without meat.
What you need:
- A knife and a chopping board
- A big pot
Ingredients for 4-6 persons:
- 250gr green lentils (1 cup)
- 3-5 leeks depending on their size
- 4-9 potatoes depending on their size
- 3 carrots
- 2 onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 sausages (I used Morteau sausages which have strong and smoky flavor)
- 1 Bouquet Garni bag
- Salt & pepper
Before you Start:
- Peel & cut the potatoes and carrots in chunks equal size so they cook at the same pace
- Remove the dark green top of the leek, slice half lengthwise but leave the root uncut so its easier to wash. Cut the leek in 3 cms pieces. Bin the root part.
- Peel & cut the onions in 4
- Peel & cut the garlic cloves in 2
- Rinse the lentils
Ready to go?
- Boil 2 litters of water in a big pot and add the lentils, leeks, carrots, potatoes, garlic, the Bouquet Garni bag, salt & pepper.
- Reduce the heat to medium–low and let it cook uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Add the sausages and cook for another 20 minutes (depending on the kind of sausages you’re using, you may adjust the cooking time). Chorizo is also nice (slice and fry it before adding it to the soup though). This soup is also delicious meatless.
- BON APPÉTIT !
Similar recipes from the Beginner’s Cookbook you may like: