Given how popular the Chorizo & Green Peas Risotto is, I’m proposing a vegetarian alternative this week with mushrooms & courgettes. It’s easy, creamy (although there is no creme fraiche!) and is ready in less than 30 minutes.
What you need:
- A knife and a chopping board
- A big pan with a cover
Ingredients for 3-4 persons:
- 250gr risotto rice (1 cup)
- 2 courgettes
- 7 mushrooms
- 1 shallot
- 45gr Parmesan (1/4 cup)
- 120ml white wine (1 cup), I used Pinot Grigio that was left over in the fridge
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 600ml water (5 cups)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Salt & pepper
Before you Start:
- Slice finely the mushrooms
- Slice finely the courgettes
- Cut the shallot in half from top to bottom. Put the cut side down and make horizontal cuts every 3-5 mm without reaching the roots. Then make vertical cuts till the top (and leaving the roots out).
Ready to go?
- Place a big pan on medium high heat and melt the butter. Then add the chopped shallot and cook it for 2-3 minutes till golden.
- Add the mushrooms and cook also for a few minutes.
- Then and the risotto rice and stir constantly for 4-5 minutes till the rice becomes translucent.
- Then add the white wine and keep stirring. Once it disappeared, add the sliced courgettes, the water, the vegetable stock cube, salt & pepper.
- Cook for 20 minutes with the lid on.
- Remove the lid, taste it (if the rice feels hard, cook it for a few more minutes), add the grated parmesan, stir and serve immediately.
- BON APPÉTIT !
Similar recipes from the Beginner’s Cookbook you may like:
- Chorizo & Green Pea Risotto
- Creamy Pasta with Mushrooms, Radicchio & Walnuts
- Gnocchi with Mushrooms & Walnut Pesto