One of the best roast chickens I had in a long time: it requires little preparation and I had no idea caramelized shallots could taste so good!
What you need:
- A knife and a chopping board
- A big pan
- A big oven proof dish
- Aluminium foil
Ingredients for 4 persons:
- 1.8 kg chicken
- 4 big shallots
- 4 carrots
- 8 baby potatoes (adjust depending on the size of your dish)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 rosemary sprigs
- 150ml beer (I used pale ale)
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & pepper
Before you Start:
- Peel and roughly chop the carrots
- Peel and cut the shallots in half
- Peel and slice the garlic cloves
Ready to go?
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C
- Let’s start with the sauce:
- In a large pan over medium heat, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil and then cook the shallots & carrot chunks for 10 minutes until they start to golden.
- Add the sliced garlic, a tablespoon of tomato purée & the rosemary sprigs. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the beer and let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, 250ml water & the chicken stock cube.
- Add salt & pepper.
- Stir and let it cook for another couple of minutes.
- Pour all the sauce in the oven dish and put the chicken in the middle.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil on top of the chicken and add salt & pepper. Spoon some sauce over the chicken and then roast for 1 hour.
- Every 20min, spoon more sauce over the chicken so the meat is tender and the skin gets crispy.
- After 1 hour in the oven, remove the chicken and let it rest for 15min covered in aluminium foil.
- 5 minutes before the end time, gently heat the sauce & vegetables in the pan.
- Using a sharp knife, carve the chicken. Serve immediately with the vegetables & sauce.
- BON APPÉTIT !
This recipe is based on the Beer and shallot roast chicken recipe from Delicious Magazine. And here are similar recipes from the Beginner’s Cookbook you may like:
- Braised Lamb Shanks, Chorizo and Red Wine with Potato Purée & Kale
- Pork Filet Mignon with White Bean Mash
- Pork Roast with Apple & Cider Sauce