Cauliflower Rice Pilaf & Crispy Kale are the perfect combination for a light and healthy lunch. It has the texture of rice and is full of flavors thanks to the raisins, almonds, lemon zest & fresh parsley. It’s ready in less than 30 minutes, so a great go-to meal for lunch. The portion below is for 2 persons as a main or 4 as a side.
What you need:
- A knife and a chopping board
- A mini chopper (I have that one) – You can also use a grater if you don’t have one
- A big pan to cook the cauliflower rice
- A small pan to cook the pine nuts that go with the kale
- Baking paper for the kale
Ingredients for 2 persons as a main or 4 as a side dish:
- Cauliflower rice pilaf:
- 1 cauliflower
- 1 shallot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup dry raisin
- 1/4 cup flaked almonds
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Crispy kale:
- 3 handfuls kale
- 1/8 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (I used brown sugar)
- Pinch of paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Before you start:
- Pulse the cauliflower florets in the mini chopper
- Mince the garlic & the shallot
- Prepare the lemon zest with half the lemon (not sure how? Check this guide). You’ll need 1 tablespoon (to adjust depending on taste)
Ready to go?
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C.
- Let’s start by preparing the cauliflower rice:
- Toast the almonds in the big pan on medium high heat (no oil needed). After a few minutes they will start to golden and you can then set them aside.
- In that same big pan, now empty, add the olive oil. Once hot, add the minced garlic & shallot and cook for a few minutes. Stir regularly so it doesn’t burn.
- Add the cauliflower rice, salt & pepper to taste. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock cube & 1/2 cup water, stir and let it cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, let’s prepare the kale:
- Spread the kale on the baking paper with some olive oil & salt and put in the oven for 10-15 minutes (until crisp but still green).
- In a small pan on medium-high heat add the sugar, paprika & pine nuts and cook for 5 minutes till the sugar melts and the pine nuts get toasted. Sprinkle the pine nuts on top of the crispy kale in the plate when you serve.
- Once the cauliflower in the pan is soften add the almonds, dry raisins, lemon zest & fresh parsley. Stir and let it cook for a couple of minutes. Taste & adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Serve immediately and… BON APPÉTIT !
Similar recipes from the Beginner’s Cookbook you may like:
- Quinoa Power Bowl
- Brown Rice Bowl with Avocado & Fried Egg
- Chorizo & Green Pea Risotto
- Quinoa Mixed Vegetable Salad with Feta
- Mushroom & Asparagus Omelette