Ok, not the healthiest meal to start the new year but melting brie is soooo good! Very easy to do, it’s the perfect meal as a starter for 6 or as a main for 4 with a side salad.
What you need:
- A knife and a chopping board
- A pie plate (tart tin)
- A pan
Ingredients for 4 persons:
- A puff pastry
- 1 apple (I used Braeburn)
- 4 onions
- 180 gr brie
- 8 walnuts
- 60 gr cranberry sauce
- Thyme sprigs
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- A dash of honey if you have some (optional)
- Salt & pepper
Before you start:
- Peel & dice the onions
- Chop the walnuts roughly
- Slice the brie (I put the slices on some baking paper so it’s easier to remove with a knife as the cheese tends to melt a bit at room temperature while you’re cooking.
- Slice the apple finely removing seeds and the hard part in the middle (but leave the skin on). Feel free to add a splash of vinegar on them so they don’t brown (alternatively you can prepare them while your onions are caramelizing).
Ready to go?
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and prepare the pastry:
- Unroll the pastry sheet in the pie plate leaving the paper from the pack.
- Trim the edges and prick pastry with a fork.
- Score a criss-cross pattern at the center to prevent it to rise while cooking
- Bake for 10 minutes (the pastry should turn gold brown). Feel free to add a few more minutes if needed.
- While the tart is cooking, let’s make the onion preparation:
- On medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, then the diced onions and cook for 10 to 15 minutes till they start to caramelize (if they start to burn, reduce the heat).
- Add 2 tablespoons vinegar and stir for 1 minute and then add the mustard, the thyme sprigs, salt & pepper and set aside.
- Once the pastry is ready and pre-cooked:
- Spread the onion preparation (remove the thyme sprigs)
- Add a teaspoon here and there of the sauce of your choice (onion marmelade or cranberry sauce)
- Spread the apple slices and then the brie on top
- Top with the chopped walnuts, salt & pepper
- Put in the oven for 20 minutes (I added a dash of honey which was also nice with the walnuts, not too much as it tends to burn in the oven)
- Serve immediately with a mixed salad.
- BON APPÉTIT !