Christmas is approaching and I felt like cooking something special. This recipe has more ingredients than my previous ones and it takes 2 hours 1/2 to get ready but it’s very easy to do, I promise!
What you need:
- A knife and a chopping board
- A big pot with a lid that is oven proof for the lamb
- A big pot to cook the potatoes
- A colander
- Potato masher (a fork will do if you don’t have one)
- A measuring cup for the liquids
Ingredients for 2-3 persons:
- 2 lamb shanks
- 1 onion
- 2 cooking chorizo sausages
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 thymes sprigs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 175ml red wine (1 1/2 cup)
- 175ml water (1 1/2 cup)
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 200gr chopped tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 100gr kale
- 500gr potatoes
- 25gr butter
Before you Start:
- Bash the garlic cloves
- Dice the onion
- Slice the chorizo into 1-2 cm pieces
- Finely dice the chicken stock cube
Ready to go?
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- In a big pot that is oven proof, put:
- Lamb shanks
- Olive oil
- Roast uncovered for 10 minutes then add:
- Roast again for 10 minutes (the meat should be lightly browned)
- Remove the dish from the oven and add:
- Red wine
- Chicken stock cube
- Bay leaves
- Lower the oven to 150 degrees C and cook with the lid on for 2 hours till the meat falls off the bone.
- 30 minutes before the lamb is ready, let’s prepare the potato purée:
- Peel the potatoes and cut them in same sized chunks
- Bring a pan of water to boil over and simmer for 10-15minutes till the potatoes are tender (take a thin, sharp knife to check)
- When ready, drain them and add the potatoes back to the hot pot, add the butter, some salt & pepper and mash them. To make the purée creamier I also added some milk and 1 egg but it’s not compulsory.
- 5 minutes before the lamb is ready add the kale on top of the meat and put back in the oven to cook with the lid on.
- BON APPÉTIT !
This recipe is largely inspired by Ocado’s Braised lamb shanks with chorizo and red wine.
Similar recipes from the Beginner’s Cookbook you may like:
- Red Wine Braised Shredded Beef with Roasted Potatoes & Carrots
- Pork Roast with Apple & Cider Sauce
- Pork Filet Mignon with White Bean Mash