This one is perfect on a Sunday! Pot-roasting is really easy to do and the meat will be very tender but it requires a lot of cooking time so you’ll have to prepare it early (or have a late lunch!) as the beef requires 4 hours in the oven to be able to be shredded.
What you need:
- A knife and a chopping board
- A dutch oven that can go in the oven (or cast iron cocotte/ovenproof pot with lid) for the beef.
- An oven proof dish for the potatoes & carrots
- A pot and a colander for the green beans
Ingredients for 6 persons:
- 1 kg beef joint
- 2 onions
- 150 ml water
- 150 ml red wine (I used Shiraz)
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 sprigs fresh parsley
- Salt & Pepper
- A bit of olive oil & butter
- 6 carrots
- 4 big potatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 500 gr green beans
Before you Start:
- Peel and finely slice the onions
- Chop the parsley
- Cut chunks of potatoes & carrots same size so they cook at the same time (I tend to don’t remove the skins to keep the vitamins, but feel free to do so if you prefer them this way).
- Peel and thinly slice the garlic
Ready to go?
Let’s start with the meat:
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C
- Melt a bit of butter and olive oil in the dutch oven and cook the onions for a few minutes. When they become a bit transparent, add the meat.
- Sprinkle the beef with the thyme, parsley, salt & pepper and then add the wine and water at the bottom of the dish.
- Place the dish in the oven with the lid on for 4 hours. On a regular basis (especially during the last 2 hours), check the meat and make sure there is enough liquid. If not, add some water.
- At the end, if you manage to easily shred the meat with a fork, it means it’s ready!
And now the vegetables:
- Put the chunks of potatoes & carrots in an oven dish. Add the chopped garlic and sprinkle with olive oil and a tiny bit of sugar.
- Place in the oven for 40 minutes (same temperature as the meat, so you can put in the same oven), 40 min before the meat is ready
- 10 minutes before everything is ready, put the fresh green beans in boiling water and drain them before serving.
BON APPÉTIT !