Yesterday’s weather was rainy and cold so I felt like eating some comfort food. Looking inside my fridge, I thought why not a Croque-Monsieur?
What you need:
- A knife and a chopping board
- A cheese grater if needed
- Baking paper (optional)
Ingredients for 2 persons:
For the Croque-Monsieur (x4):
- 8 slices of white bread
- 4 slices of ham
- 125 gr cheese (Emmental or Cheddar)
For the Vegetable Salad:
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 7 cherry tomatoes
- 2 small beetroots
- 1 tablespoon of pine nuts
- A bit of balsamic glaze
Before you Start:
- Grate the cheese
Ready to go?
- Prepare the Croque-Monsieur (x4):
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees
- Remove the grid from the oven and add some backing paper if you have some.
- Put 4 slices of bread on the oven grid
- Evenly spread some cheese on each slice of bread
- Put the ham on top
- Evenly spread some cheese on top of the ham
- Cover with the remaining 4 slices of bread
- Butter the slices of bread on top
- Put the Croque-Monsieurs in the oven for 7-8 minutes (time for the cheese to melt and the bread to brown).
- Prepare the Salad while the Croque-Monsieurs are in the oven:
- Cut the beetroot in small pieces
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half
- Mix the Spinach, beetroot, cherry tomatoes and pine nuts together.
- Add a bit of balsamic glaze on top
- Serve the Croque-Monsieurs with the side Vegetable Salad
- BON APPÉTIT !
Did you know? If you add a fried egg on top before serving, it’s called a Croque-Madame!